In order to manage your Mautic installation as a marketer, you will need the followings skills:
- Willingness to learn: Mautic is the best thing can happen to a business in the hands of a skilled marketer. The tool is very capable, extendable, you can customize it to cover any company’s needs. The way Mautic handles contacts, lists is a bit different, then restrictive tools, like Mailchimp, Active Campaign, therefor the learning curve can be steep. You can find all documentation and training needed on this site to get you started!
- Basic understanding of HTML or MJML: when it comes to creating emails and designing newsletters, Mautic will support your dreams, but you might need to be able to make adjustments in the HTML code of the emails.
- Basic understanding of sets in a mathematical sense: Mautic will let you create as complicated segments as you wish. If you are an analytical person, you’ll love Mautic.In order to manage your Mautic installation as a system administrator, you will need the followings skills:
In order to manage your Mautic installation as a system administrator, you will need the followings skills:
- Using command line: Mautic 5 requires command line skills, there is no way around it.
- Setting up the environment: You’ll need to be able to create an environment in a specific php version, mariadb version, redis version. You should be able to install apache or nginx as a webserver. The commands are straight forward, but you still need to know what you are. doing, latest when you do your first Mautic upgrade.
- Use composer: From Mautic version 5, you need to use composer for managing your installation. It allows you to have a lot more streamlined way of dealing with installation and upgrade.
- Working with the cron tab: Mautic needs a bunch of commands to be executed in order to rebuild segments, launch campaigns and send emails. You should be able to work with your crontab and make the proper settings from command line.
- Understand permissions, file ownership: Anyone who runs a website should know how a certain directory can be set to be accessable to a web user, and make sure the webserver can serve the website from that directory.
- Read logs: Just like any other software, Mautic also generates errors. You should be able to read those logs and understand how to troubleshoot problems.
- Manage backups: Each software in production should have some kind of backup. Since you are hosting your own Mautic, you have to be able to save backups on a regular basis, and take care of restoring them if needed.
- Maintanance and upgrade: Once Mautic is up and running you need to make sure to maintain it. You’ll need to execute certain symfony commands, especially clearning the cache. You will have to trim the database to make sure it’s not bloated, and delete old records based on GDPR requirements (if applicable.). Upgrades are happening through composer commands.